Monday, September 10, 2012

Goodbye, Kitty {let's hope}

The Sunbean has been on a Hello Kitty kick lately.  As a rule, I'm not a fan of licensed characters.  And I would certainly never endorse a party based on such a thing.  There are a few exceptions, though, and luckily Hello Kitty made the cut.

So when my cute 4-year-old decided a Hello Kitty party was the only kind that would do, I obliged.  I attempted to just bathe everything in pink and then lightly accent with Hello Kitty.

We had a cookout, and I decided to do something different for dessert and favors.  In the past, I've always assembled elaborate treat bags with handmade crafts and goodies.  Those days are gone.  This was so easy and cheap:  I just went to the store, and walked around filling my cart with all things pink.  I bought some cute treat bags on easy, and then as people left they could fill their bag with whatever treats were left.  So easy, and no cleanup since all of the treats were gone!

 I tried my hand at making some Hello Kitty cookies.  I used the 'royal icing' {found a tutorial on Pinterest, duh} and then let it harden overnight.  Then I drew the face and eyes with an edible food pen, and used some different sprinkles for the nose and bow.  Not really my style, but the Sunbean was over the moon.

I wasn't sure if these strawberry wafer cookies dipped in chocolate and sprinkles would be a hit, but they were the first things gone!

I also had 'regular' cookies with pink cream cheese frosting, pink animal cookies, and pink M&Ms.  And cupcakes, of course.


The sweet {and shy} birthday girl blowing out the candles.

It was a fun party with lots of family and friends.

We love you, sweet girl!

3 comments:

emily said...

cute! I'm sad this is like the first birthday bash I've missed! I like the pink with a hint of kitty. since you had to...
love the treat idea too! so smart, then you don't eat nothing but cupcakes and candy for the next 5 days....

Unknown said...

so cute! definitely stealing the treat bag idea. :)

Kelsey said...

love the cookies! i always suck at free handing confections but you seemed to find an easy way