Thursday, October 14, 2010

I'm a Granite Girl

 Our poor kitchen has endured oh-so-many changes since we've lived here.  First, we painted her yellow:

 And accessorized with red?  Why, oh why?  What were we thinking?  No one knows.

Let's not forget the absolutely horrible granite tile countertop:

See, when we moved in, there was one of those fake wood formica jobs.  We didn't like it, and MacGyver's mom had some granite tile laying around (she's the original MacGyver, if you didn't know).  She offered to help me tile it, and I was pumped.
Sadly, it didn't turn out:

I've been wanting to re-do it since the second it was done.  Was it the uneven tiles?  The yellowing epoxy grout?  My perpetual fear of all manner of germs living in the cracks?  Hard to say.

Herein lies the problem.  Once you've had granite, if only for 5 seconds, you can never go back.  Despite our counter's fatal flaws, I loved its heat-resistant properties and gleaming surface.  I just couldn't bring myself to pay money to get something that I didn't even want.

Then, one fabulous evening (four years later, mind you), we got a call from MacGyver's mom.  She knows a granite guy.  He could install new countertops for a fraction of the cost the next morning (we're talking less than formica).  Take it or leave it.  And take it we did.  11:00pm, and we rolled up our sleeves and tore out that wretched granite tile.  Oh, the joy.

Us being, well, us, we couldn't just stop there.  The new solid-surface granite counter inspired an entire renovation.  Behold, our new and much-loved kitchen:
 Is is not fabulous?  I love it.  Love it.  This is one of the first projects that we've completed that I've absolutely loved.

And a close-up of those fantastic counters:


 If only I could cook...

4 comments:

emily said...

I actually like the red and yellow in the picture--it looks so bright and cheery! But I swear your kitchen is bigger than mine and I wish I had white cabinets, sigh. And of course the granite is oh so chic!

Chantel said...

Oh my gosh- I loooove it! Looks so good. :)

Unknown said...

I like the new look. What an awesome deal for granite counter tops! Someday I would like my own (and a bigger kitchen while we're at it).

Stacie said...

So fantastic! I really like the subway tile backsplash too. I wish I had a real house to do this all too!