Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Top Ten...Books

Here are my current Top Ten books, though this list changes frequently.  In no particular order...

1. The Harry Potter Series.  As in, all of them.  As in, l.o.v.e. love these books.  At first I was anti.  Then I was tutoring a 5th grader who would have nothing to do with any other book.  So, we read the first two chapters together.  That night, I finished the first book.  They are fantastic pieces of literature.

2. Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons.  Talk about perfectly capturing life as a stay-at-home mom.  A must for all mothers.

3. Beat the Turtle Drum.  I first read this in 5th grade, and have read it several times over.  It is a really sad book, but would be a good recommendation for a child who has recently experienced the death of a loved one.

4.  Pride and Prejudice.  Tried to read this several times.  Couldn't get into it.  My dear friend forced me to watch the Kiera Knightly version, and I was hooked.  Read the book, loved it.  Watched the real version (read:  A&E....read:  take me home, Mr. Darcy), loved it ten times more.  I just watched the Mormon version.  Totally adorable.

5.  A Wrinkle in Time.  A classic.  I loved the way this made me think as a child, and I love the fact that I can still enjoy it.

6.  Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.  Does it make me a nerd that this made my Top Ten?  Probably.  It saved my life, though, so it deserves a spot.

7.  Tarzan of the Apes.  Okay, okay.  Laugh it up.  Then go ask them to dig it out of the archives at the library.  I first read this about 5 years ago for a book club, and was shocked at how well-written and thought-provoking it was.  My friend chose it because she's 'never been disappointed with a classic'.  So, so true.

8.  Anything by Dan Brown.  Suspenseful, intriguing, and well-researched.  I've read each of them in less than two days.  Certainly the mark of a good author.

9.  Plain Truth.  I love just about everything by Jodi Picoult, but this is my current favorite.  I'm not sure what exactly made this one stand out above the rest, but I've read it many times, and always find it fulfilling.

10.  Little Earthquakes.  I read this while pregnant, though that might not be advisable.  It is about a mother who has lost a child, and how she and her other young-mother-friends move on.  A great and fun read for moms, just be careful in case you are the crazy I-just-know-every-conceivable-bad-thing-will-happen-to-my-child type, like me.  A great portrayal of the camaraderie of mothers.

There you go...Happy Reading!

Any suggestions for me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

every single thing you can get your hands on by elizabeth berg

emily said...

Good list! I love healthy sleep habits. should be on everyone's top 10. I think you like edgier books than me though, I don't know if I could handle Jodi Piccoult very often....

Valerie said...

You should also watch Bride and Prejudice. There's also another BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with my favorite Mr. Darcy.

I would recommend the Hunger Games and you should get on Goodreads.