Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday Hodge-Podge


  • First and foremost, it's Sleep Week here at the homestead.  Both of my kids have naughty, naughty sleep habits.  I've reached my breaking point, so this week is going to be rough.  For Little Dude, he's learning how to put himself to sleep.  So far, we're doing great.  He fussed for his morning nap, but fell asleep on his own and in his bed.  We did this with the Sunbean at 4 months, so we're a little behind with the dude.  But he's doing great!  As for the Sunbean, she's still using a pacifier {insert guilty mommy look here}.  I know.  It's ridiculous.  She's just such a good sleeper {12 hours at night + a 2-3 hour nap} that I hate to mess it up.  But it's time {it's been time for 2 years...}.  So for FHE tonight we're sewing her pacis inside her favorite stuffed animal.  Here's hoping she doesn't tear open the animal tonight.
  • Have I told you about my calling?  I teach the 10-year-old Sunday School class.  The kids are way smart, and I have to work really hard on my lessons to occupy them for the full hour.  But the really incredible part is after my lesson when I go with them to Singing Time.  These kids are like some kind of elite choir.  They all sing {even all of the boys!} and they all harmonize.  The music leader teaches even the 3-year-olds melody and harmony.  It's so amazing to sit there and listen.
  • I'm getting excited about Valentine's Day.  I know that sounds odd, but I remember holidays being a really big deal when I was a kid.  It occurred to me the other day that it's my job to create that for my littles.  So the Sunbean is getting jazzed for another holiday {she loooooved the Christmas season}.  I've got some fun meal ideas, and I ordered some super cute things on etsy.
  • MacGyver and I have decided to get serious about getting rid of this 'happy weight' we have.  You know, the weight you gain when you get married and happy and comfortable and have no one to impress.  Since January 2nd, we've both lost 7 pounds.  Go us.
  • Do you have an iPhone?  You need the camera+ app.  It's so amazing.
  • On Saturday, we spent the whole day at our friends' house.  You know, the ones who have 3-year-old twins and 4-month-old triplets.  Our 'baby gift' to them was to paint the less-than-appealing wood paneling in their family room.  Wow.  What a day.  Our painting 'plan' is always for MacGyver to do the rolling and I do the cutting in {trim work}.  So, I ended up doing 2 coats of cutting in and then 2 coats on all of the crown moulding and baseboard.  My body still aches!  Aside from that, the triplets {who are usually such mild-mannered babes} were having a bit of an off day.  And then you factor in that we had 7 children 3 and under in one house for the whole day....well, 'loud' is an understatement.  But we had such fun hanging out with our friends all day, and the room just looks great.  Such an improvement.
  • We visited the local science museum on Friday, COSI.  It's so great.  The second level is devoted entirely to children in kindergarten and younger.  Like, if you have an older kid with you, they can't come in.  It was awesome to just let the Sunbean explore and do her thing.  Not awesome?  Carrying around my 22-pound 7-month-old for 3 hours.
Happy Monday to you!

2 comments:

emily said...

Good luck with the sleep week! We let Will have his "milky baba" until he was almost 4. I told him on his birthday, that was the end and he was fine with it. I'm lazy and don't like to mess with the easy life. I say, don't sweat it.

I'm also impressed with the painting. I'm ALWAYS the roller and Ty is always the cutter-inner. Apparently I don't do a good enough job for him...

Have you considered the ergo baby carrier? Everybody seems to LOVE it for their older babies. It's expensive, but I'm thinking about it for later since it gets such good reviews.

Unknown said...

the room does look great! Thank you guys so, so, so, so much! We had fun with too, even though the day was a bit crazy! :)