Thursday, October 25, 2012

Hallway Age

For a few months now, Little Dude has been what I consider 'hallway age'.  That means that while at church for our three-hour block of classes/meetings, we spent most of the time in the hallway.

He's too old to be satisfied with sitting and playing with toys, and too young to go into the nursery {consider this my request for nursery to begin at 12 months}.  We can't sit in a meeting for more than 5 minutes without becoming a very large distraction.

So into the hallway we go.  We walk around and get drinks from the drinking fountain every 3 seconds.  For a few weeks in a row, the Primary was practicing in the chapel, which mesmerized the dude.  He just wants to be big.


As a side note, the Sunbean was awesome in the Primary Program.  She knew all of the words and sang most of the time.  And even spoke into the mic for her part!  That's a big deal for my shy girl.

Of course, I didn't get to see much of the program.  I was in the hallway.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Abbey, could you help me with a question? Why exactly is it that you guys don't have a childcare program for younger kiddos? Just curious. We can take kiddos as young as 6 weeks into the nursery for childcare. Just wondering if there was a reason (I'm sure there is). Just seems like you poor momma's could really benefit from the time sitting in church without those wild and crazy babies :)

Abbey said...

Lol! I TOTALLY agree, Leslie. I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know what it is. All I know is that the church is systematically organized, and nursery starts at 18 months. An age change would need to be instituted from the three women who are 'in charge' of all of the primary-age children throughout the whole world {the primary general presidency}. I suppose that kind of sounds like blind obedience, but I have faith the leaders have our needs in mind. Here's hoping that's a change somewhere on the horizon!

emily said...

Oh, my time is coming too. Not looking forward to it.
They want to go to nursery at 12 months and then as soon as they hit 18 months they don't want anything to do with it!!!! (at least my kids)

I know that the church wants families to be all together for the first part of our meetings (sacrament meeting) so they can understand the importance of the sacrament at a young age etc, and get used to being in there, and maybe they think since the nursery (2nd and 3rd hours) is just staffed by volunteers essentially that 12 months is too young? Some are not walking? I'm not really sure.

And, I miss that chapel and those kids...