Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Discovering America

As a household of red-blooded Republicans, we love this country {not that you crazy Dems don't}.  Total bummer, though, we haven't seen much of it.  We've each made the trek from Indiana to Utah by car {though not together}, been to Florida and other various east-coast destinations, and I once even had a layover in San Jose.  

I recently started doing the shipping for a friend's etsy shop {check it out...cute stuff!}, and they sell a ton of these National Park prints.  Nic and I think they're totally cool, and just love the idea of exploring the beautiful things that our country has to offer.  We love a big city as much as the next guy, and usually base our trips and vacations around a city.

We've now made it our goal to visit all of the National Parks as a family.  We've each been to a few, but it only counts if we go together.  How fun will this be?!?


Obviously some of them will be more enjoyable than others {I'm thinking the ones in Hawaii will be more exciting than the one in Ohio, just a guess}, but we want to see them all.  And at 59 parks, it should keep us busy for several years.

We're kicking things off this summer with our trip to Isle of Palms, South Carolina.  We'll hit up the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the Conagree National Park.  I've been to the Smokies several times, and have always loved it.  These stops will break up the drive to the beach, too.

Are you planning any fun trips this year?

5 comments:

Valerie said...

This is one of our goals too! We'll be visiting the Smokies at least once this year, maybe twice (we have gone several times) and I plan on getting up to Cuyahoga some time this year for some hiking and train riding.

I personally have been to 13 national parks and Reed adds a few more in there, including most of the ones in Alaska.

One of our problems is that once you've been to one National Park, you just want to go back! I could go to Yellowstone every year and be happy. Ah, but I must save time for all the other beautiful parks.

emily said...

I saw those maps and thought we needed one too! I've done mostly west coast parks because my parents were good about that kind of thing but we are terrible at it.
We are headed to the beach in 3 weeks. it's spring break time for us!

emily said...

I saw those maps and thought we needed one too! I've done mostly west coast parks because my parents were good about that kind of thing but we are terrible at it.
We are headed to the beach in 3 weeks. it's spring break time for us!

emily said...

oh, i love my phone...

virginia said...

great idea! our kids have the national park "passports"
and they give you stamps at each attraction in the park.
They love looking back at the places we have been.