Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Quick Thanksgiving Clothes

For me, one of the best parts about having a little girl is sewing clothing for her.  I'm ridiculously particular about what the Sunbean wears, so most of the time it's just easier (read:  cheaper) for me to do it myself.

Right now, the Sunbean has little-to-no opinion about her clothes, and can be talked into wearing anything.  These days are slipping by fast, so the other day I dashed into Joann's to grab some holiday fabric.  Behold, our Thanksgiving 2010 outfit:



It was so super simple.  I'd say you could make this if you are an average sewer.  Of course, my job is always made easier by my ruffler and serger.  Even without those tools, though, you could do it.  I'm not cool enough to actually make a tutorial, but here's the gist:

The pants are a simple pajama pant pattern, with no side seam.  Don't make kids' pants with side seams.  It's a waste of time.  I threw a ruffle on the bottom for good measure.  If you don't have a ruffler, hand-gathering isn't hard and it's pretty fast.  For the waistband, I always serge the elastic in.  I think I'll put together a tutorial for this, though.  I'm always shocked at how many sewers don't serge in the waistband.

The shirt is really easy.  Get a shirt (I like Target and H&M), and then cut it off about an inch under the sleeves.  Ruffle or hand-gather some fabric (I never measure...just do what looks good), and then pin and sew.  Sooooo easy.  It looks good if you top-stitch the skirt to the top.  Hem that baby up and you're done!  I added a fabric rosette because, well, I had time, but you wouldn't have to.

So there you go.  I had it all done in less than an hour.


What are your turkeys wearing for Thanksgiving this year?

1 comment:

Shanna said...

Her outfit is SOOOOO cute!! I am so doing this for Christmas for Katie and my niece. Thanks for the awesome idea!