Monday, January 31, 2011

Advice Needed: Double Strollers

With Little Dude on the way, I've been obsessive with researching double strollers.  The only conclusion I have made is that I'm more confused than when I started all of this nonsense.  So I've got just one logical conclusion left:  let the bloggers decide.

Here's why and when I'll use a double stroller:
  • We are out and about nearly every single day.  We just use our strollers a lot.
  • The Sunbean loves riding in a stroller, and I prefer that over the snail-pace that I must assume to accommodate her tiny little legs.
  • I'll probably wear Little Dude quite a bit, but I'll not be waking a sleeping baby from a carseat just to put him in a wrap.
  • So, I'll need a double stroller that can accommodate a carseat and and 3-year-old.
  • We use the stroller at the mall, the zoo, garage sales, on walks, at stores, and festivals/events during the summer.
  • I'll be flying solo quite often, since MacGyver has one of those 9-5 job-things, so two umbrella strollers aren't really a great choice for us.
  • We have a Maclaren single stroller than we love and will definitely hang on to, for when Little Dude is older and Sunbean isn't into the stroller scene anymore, or when I know I'll be wearing Little Dude.
Here are my top three choices and why I like and don't like them.

Joovy Caboose

 This is your basic sit-and-stand stroller.  The reviews are way better on Joovy's version, which is why it is on my list.  It holds a carseat, but the only seat for Sunbean would be by my knees.  I can't see her loving that, since she still dearly loves her stroller.  I don't think she'd be happy in this type of thing at the zoo or something.  I kind of think a stroller with two actual seats would work better for us.  Anyone have experience with a sit-and-stand?

Contours Options
This stroller has some pretty sweet seating options.  The seats can be like this, both forward, or both backward.  I know the Sunbean would get a kick out of seeing Little Dude, and it holds a carseat.  The downside for me is that I think it would be like pushing a bus.  The reviews are decent, but all say it is bulky and heavy, and kind of hard to fold.  I think it would be great once it is all set up, but maybe not awesome for getting in and out, with two kids, in a Midwest winter.

Peg Perego Aria 60/40
 How's that for a complicated name for a freaking stroller?  This is probably my front-runner right now.  It does hold a carseat, though it only claims to be compatible with Peg Perego's carseat.  I'm sure just about any carseat would sit on there, though.  The reviews are so-so, but it weighs less than 20 pounds, which is a big feature for me.  The reviews say that it is easy to fold, and easy to heft in and out of a vehicle.  My only worry is that it would be too tough in a store or in the mall.  It claims to fit through a standard doorway, but I obviously don't really have a way to test that.  Peg Perego does have an outlet here, so I plan to go test it out sometime (after we get this supposed 20" of snow this week).

So....what do you think?  Am I crazy for wanting to contain (and push around) my three-year-old?  We're just a few months away from Little Dude's debut, and she's not showing any signs of being the crazy kid running around everywhere (thank goodness!).

Please, oh please, make my decision for me.  I'll take other suggestions, too.  I'd like to keep this under $300 tops, preferably much less.  I'm planning to use this puppy for the next 6-7 years, so I'm okay with spending a little more to get a quality product.

Do tell.

9 comments:

Berry Family said...

We have the Baby Trend Phantom Sit N Stand Duo Stroller. I got it for Mothers Day before Mia was born & I L.O.V.E it! It is easy fold, doesn't take up much room in the trunk, car seat clips in easy, etc.

Shanna said...

My first choice (both based on what you said and on my own personal preference) would be the last one. I have had a long stroller and I think they are a pain in the rear. I could never really see what Leo was doing in the front and putting my baby up there was just too far away. Now it is a plus that the long one on here has the turn around options but when you think about it eventually Little Dude will want to be forward and again is just so far from sight.

Second choice for me would be the sit n stand one. However not ideal if she still loves her stroller.

Hope that helps and makes sense. Good luck.

Unknown said...

I agree with Shanna. :)I don't know how many you've looked at of the side by side (I'm sure a ton), but I'd honestly look at one with one wheel in the front. I find that SO much easier to push. Our side by side is like that, but you can't put a carseat in it. Also, when you are in a store where the side by side would be a pain, just use a shopping cart. I don't even use strollers in stores or the mall anymore. Makes life much easier in my opinion.

Deb said...

We went from a single to a double when Kenny was born...mine is a lot like the first one pictured but it has an area for sitting in the back also and it has buckles to strap in the older child. I never tried any of the other styles but I loved using the duo one we bought. We got it at Big Lots for like 99 bucks...I can't remember the brand but I do remember that its normal price was 260...so shop for the bargin and what you like best. One of my favorite features is the basket part in the back...so if your just running in for a few items you can do it on your own both kids in tow.

It has a spot for the infant carseat up front then seating for when he is ready to be free from it and a spot for sitting or standing for her in the back with the basket in the seating area for her but she could still stand with the basket open...I so loved it!!!

Anna said...

Lots easier to control the side by side, I think. And easier to fold and perhaps a bit less bulky. I never had a calm 3 year old, so I was happy to have a sit and stand so the kid had a choice, and if that choice changed every 30 seconds, it wasn't so much of a hassle for me:) Good luck! I have seen many at early garage sales, if you can wait that long. Seems like people don't use them for very long so you can find them still in good condition.

Unknown said...

Pretty sure a girl in my ward has the last one, or at least a version of it. It fits through any doorway at church just fine and her twins seem to love it :)

Matt, Camille and family said...

Definately use a stroller. Having two little boys 20 months apart I used a double stroller alot. Mine wasn't one that you listed but I loved having both kids in the stroller. Never did hear good about the sit and stand. We chose not to get that one due to some bad reviews. Made for easy trips and we went everywhere. Now I will be using the stoller again with #3.

Maya said...

We have the Joovy. The main selling point was that it's only 25 lbs, and a light stroller is necessary for my back. I miss cupholders and having a lot of storage space, but I don't think any double stroller has great storage space. M. likes sitting/standing. I let him pick and when he sits I don't buckle him in, so he can stand while I'm pushing if he wants. I only buckle if I'm in a hurry somewhere. So far so good! Plus, we bought it on craiglist for cheap! :-)

Kelli said...

Abbey, I bought the Joovy ergo caboose and you can get it on ebay sometimes for around 300. Love it!!!