Monday, June 13, 2011

Oh, Poop.


I had to share this little anecdote that happened right before Little Dude arrived.

The day before I went into labor, the Sunbean and I were at my 40-week OB appointment.  I would usually just drag the Sunbean along with me, rather than finding someone to watch her, because the appointments are seriously 2.5 minutes long.  I'd just pick up a box of chocolate milk (her Starbucks addiction is nearly worse than mine), set her up with Netflix on my iPod, and we'd be good to go.  Sidebar:  what on earth did parents do before technology?  Were waiting rooms just full of screaming kids?

Anyway.  At the 40 week appointment.  I mentioned that Little Dude's movement had slowed quite a bit, and my doctor decided to do a 'quick' non-stress test.  For those of you who have never had an NST, they hook you up to a contraction monitor and a heart rate monitor, sit you in a recliner, and come back in 20 minutes.

Not a bad deal, really.  I got the Sunbean set up with her Netflix (again with being grateful for technology), and settled into the recliner.  The nurse comes in 20 minutes later to get the printout, and it turns out that one of the monitors wasn't attached to the machine.  Well, of course not.  Not on the day I have a 2-year-old with me.

So it's 20 more minutes for me.  The Sunbean is doing great, really, with thanks to the nurse who gave her free reign over the sticker box.  The nurse comes back in after 20, and wouldn't you know....the freaking machine had run out of paper at about minute 2.  Love.ly.

Soooooo 20 more minutes for me.  At this point, I figured we're probably running out of possible machine malfunctions, anyway.  Well, 5 minutes after the nurse leaves the room, the darling Sunbean informs me that she needs to go poop.  There are lots of gray areas in parenting, but this is not one of them.  You just don't ignore poop.

But what's a momma to do?  I wasn't about to get up from the monitors, since I was working on NST #3 here.  There wasn't a bathroom adjoined to the room, either.  So I had the sweet little Sunbean open the door.  She's rather obsessed with stethoscopes (don't even ask why....I have no idea what makes the mind of a toddler work), so I told her to find someone with a stethoscope.  I figured a doctor or nurse would be a safe bet, right?  The proverbial boogeyman probably wasn't wearing a stethoscope.

I could hear her in the hall say, "Excuse me, lady?  I need to go poo-poo."  Seriously.  I was laughing so hard.  Thankfully, this particular nurse thought the Sunbean was a doll and was saintly enough to help her find a restroom.

I was thanking my lucky stars that the Sunbean has been potty-trained for about a year, and so she could go on her own.  I'm pretty sure wiping toddler bums isn't in the job description of an OB/GYN nurse.  Although, now that I think about it, perhaps that would be better than some of the things they get to do.

The Sunbean earned herself another trip to Starbucks for that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I.Love.This.Story.

Unknown said...

Sunbean did a great job! You must be so proud of her. Sorry the machine kept having problems.