Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Eye Swear

I'm about ready to gouge out my right eye.  

About 9 months ago, right when we moved here, I got an ulcer in my right eye.  Apparently those are normally caused from wearing your contacts at night, but I never do that.  At that point, however, I was wearing my contacts for 14+ hours per day, and getting about 4 hours of sleep per night.  Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Anyway...about 6 weeks of no contacts and really expensive eye drops, the ulcer was healed.  Ever since then, though, my eyes have just been fussy.  I recently had an eye infection that also required two weeks without contacts.

And yesterday, I went to the eye doctor {I imagine she's purchased a vacation home with all of my business this year} because my right eye was clouding up when I wear my contacts.  Like, to the point of zero visibility.  How nice.

She's such a sweet lady, and was so sad to tell me that my contact-wearing-days are probably numbered.  I've got another week of no-contacts and all sorts of drops every two hours, and then I'm going back to discuss daily contacts.  She warned me that they are very expensive.  Well, of course they are.  We're also going to discuss Lasik.  Years ago, I was told I'm not a candidate for Lasik because of my strong prescription {it's crazy bad} and my astigmatism.  But that was at least 10 years ago, so I'm hoping the technology has improved enough for me.

The big problem here is that I don't' like the way I look in glasses.  I feel like a frumpy old mom.


There's a Groupon for a pretty good deal on eyewear, so I think I might do that, because the other problem is that these new $500 glasses aren't my current prescription.  I can see fine, but it could {and should} be much better.

Well, if you're still reading, thanks.  I'm sure my vision issues are near the very bottom of your things-I-care-about list, but it's seriously bumming me out.  The good news is that I have a pair of prescription sunglasses {with my current prescription!} that I really love.  Maybe I'll just take to wearing these both inside and out.


Here's hoping you have an eyecare-drama-free day!

7 comments:

emily said...

I think you look cute in glasses! I really wish I wore glasses--always have.

I'll have to find the place where Ty orders his $10 glasses. Then you could have a closet full of eye accessories!

Anna said...

I would be SO BUMMED too! I love my contacts. Good luck with it all!

Unknown said...

i think you look cute in glasses too! not frumpy at all! but i'm sorry about all of this. it stinks!

Kelly Riley said...

Hey Abbey,
I eventually had to resort to the expensive daily wear contacts about 3 years ago. I went from monthly to daily overnight. It doesn't cancel out the cost completely (at all), but think about all of the money you can save not purchasing contact solution! It is also nice to be able to pack an extra pair or two when I travel, you know in case something happens.

virginia said...

where did you get your prescription sunglass frame? its really cute.

Abbey said...

Thanks everyone! V, I got them at eyemart express of all places. And they were pretty cheap...around $200 for the frames and the most expensive lenses

Unknown said...

I started wearing glasses full time just over a year ago. Six months ago they had to increase my prescription.

I'm glad you have sunglasses in your current prescription. I'd be lost without mine.

Good luck with your contact/lasik decision. BTW, my brother-in-law had pretty bad eyes and was able to get it, as was a co-worker. They see better than 20/20 now.