Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pallet-able

When we moved, we needed a new mattress.  Like, really badly.  We were sleeping on MacGyver's grandmother's old mattress.  Mmmhmmm.

So we sprung for the king size, and it is fabulous.  Fab-u-lous.

My sweet parents bought us a platform bed for Christmas, and I've been wanting a headboard to finish things off.

I found a few ideas I liked on Pinterest, and my friend offered me the pallets she had.

Let's just say MacGyver was less than enthused, but played along as I put this thing together.  Here's the finished product.


I'm really happy with it!  It's certainly not perfect, but it was almost free.  I bought some nails and some wood paint, which brought me to a grand total of $9.

Basically, I had MacGyver break down the pallets, and then I used the circular saw to cut the boards down to the size I wanted.  I sanded them down {with the power sander thing}, and then very poorly nailed them together.  Seriously it was bad.  But it stayed together, so it works.

I bought some of that wood paint/stain stuff at ikea.  I kind of wish it was a little darker, but I didn't have enough to do two coats.  Maybe someday I'll take it down and do another coat {cue laughter}.


My favorite part is the juxtaposition of our modern bedding and furniture with the rugged wood from the pallets.  It's not perfect, but it was $9.  And I love it.  

2 comments:

virginia said...

oh...i love things made from other things. It looks really good:)

emily said...

I'm super impressed with your handy-woman skills! I'm worthless with power tools. way cool.