Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Using a Reflector

This is for all the mommas out there.  You know, the ones who want decent photos of their kids.  Well, unless you have a 3-year-old, a la the Sunbean, and then you'll never get a decent shot.  That child is not a fan of photography these days.

One of my favorite photography tools is a reflector.  Here's my typical setup for Little Dude's weekly photo shoot.


I'm a natural-light photographer, so I never use a flash.  I'm just not a fan flash photography.  So when shooting indoors, I often move around furniture so that I can have a space with lots of natural light.

Here's where the reflector comes in.  It causes that natural light to bounce back on the subject, resulting in a well-lit image instead of lots of shadows.

For example, here's a SOOC (straight out of camera) shot without a reflector:


And here's another SOOC using the same settings, with a reflector:


Crazy different, huh?

Here's the best part.  You don't need a fancy, expensive reflector {though I'm sure they work better}.  My reflector is a simple foam board.  It was 2 bucks at Target, next to the poster boards.

If the subject is sitting or standing, just have them hold the reflector.  You can also have someone else hold it, too.  Just do what works with you, your subject, and the shot you want.

So on your next shopping trip, grab a foam board and start snappin'!

6 comments:

Anna said...

Wow! What a difference! What can you tell me about cameras? I want to get a nice one and have been saving my money, but I also need one that is easy to learn to use. Any recommendations? You take the best pictures!

Unknown said...

Is the foam board a special kind? I can't really tell from your picture. I know stores sell foam boards with a reflective surface, is that what you use?

The difference in the pictures is amazing. Thank you for sharing your recommendations.

Abbey said...

It's just a regular foam board, plain white on both sides. I'm sure a white poster board would work, but I got a foam board because it's a little thicker.

Anna J, I will inbox you. I have lots of opinions on cameras. :)

emily said...

The difference is amazing! I too only like natural light. I will have to brush up on my skills for the new guy, but oddly enough. I discovered I don't really like taking pictures. Maybe babies are more fun than fabric...

Kelsey said...

wow this helps so much! i wish i could afford a nice camera but i make do with my cheap point and shoot. this will amp up the quality of my pictures a lot!

Racheal Steppe said...

I have a light scoop that I love!! It reflects the flash indirectly, so if you're lacking natural light, it still gives the natural light effect. Not pricey either, only like $30 on amazon!! :o)