Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Design Challenge: Boy/Girl Rooms

Have you ever had to design a space for both a boy and a girl to share?  It's tough!  Especially since they aren't the same age.  It's been a fun challenge, though.  Last weekend, we got the carpet down in the bedroom, along with fresh baseboard and crown moulding.  It looks so great!

I kind of want to wait until I'm all done to share pics, but here are some things I've been gathering this week.

These adorable knobs I found on eBay.  I've been looking for them for months, and they finally showed up.  I'm so excited to get them!  They aren't going to stay red, but I'm not sure what color they'll be.


This fabric from etsy.  I've got something super crafty up my sleeve with this stuff.


And this beauty should be arriving this week.  Just so we're clear, the bed, not the bedding.  It goes so well with the bed that MacGyver's mom made for the Sunbean (his resourcefulness is hereditary).  I love that it doesn't have a raised back, and the drawer underneath is a plus since space is at a premium in our house.


By the time all of these supplies arrive, hopefully I'll have filled, sanded, and painted the holes in the baseboards and moulding (from when we hung it).

Oh, and this cute little thing is on my Target list.  I'm freakishly obsessed with preventing SIDS (when I was a social worker, one of my clients died from SIDS), so a fan is a must-have.  We've always gone the ceiling-fan route, but the fan we have has got to go.  Sooooo ugly.  I can't find one that I like/want to spend money on, so we're trying the table fan this time.  We have a great idea for the ceiling light, so hopefully it pans out.  It's homemade, and you never know about these things.

I guess I can share that the room is painted in this color, though only 50%.  It's Aquatint from Sherwin Williams.

So those are the plans for the joint sleep space for now.  It has changed 100 times so far, and I'm sure it will change a little before all is said and done.  We've got less than 8 weeks until the official due date, so it's time to get moving!

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

oh my goodness your ideas look fabulous! you've really built up a suspense for the final reveal, im stoked.

Unknown said...

I'm excited to see the final reveal. I can understand your need to prevent SIDS or any other ailment. We've had distant relations on both sides loose babies to SIDS during our marriage.