Wednesday, April 27, 2011

N is for Nesting: Boppy Slipcover Tutorial

Hey....did you know that I'm having a little boy in just a few weeks?  Well, I am.  And I've got a house full of girly stuff.  So the pink and yellow flowered slipcover for the boppy really needed to go.

Don't get me wrong, I love the boppy.  I use it quite often when I'm nursing my newborns, and then even for playing when they get to that I-think-I-can-sit-but-I-really-topple-over-quite-often stage.  You know the one.

Anyway, my little guy needed a slightly manly-er fabric.  Well, as manly as Amy Butler fabric can get.  So, here you go:


Here's where I totally messed up.  I ordered about 3 inches too little fabric, so I had to piece it.  You really can't tell now that it's finished, but I'd recommend just measuring correctly.


Learn how right here.



Step Six:  Break out the zipper foot and sew on that zipper.  I apparently didn't think you needed a photo of this.


One thing I didn't mention (or, again, photograph) is running over the seams with the serger.  If you have a serger, I'd totally recommend this step.  I know I'll wash this sucker quite often, so finishing the edges is important.  If you don't have a serger, just do a zig-zag stitch on each seam.  And then tell your nearest Santa, Easter Bunny, or Mother's-Day-Gift-Buyer that you need a serger, stat.

2 comments:

Chantel said...

Cute abbey! Amy Butler's Wallflower print is one of my all time faves. It looks so cute with the piping! Perfect for your little man. :)

Unknown said...

your cover looks better than store bought. and yes, a serger is high on my list :)