Thursday, May 5, 2011

Little Dude's Birth Plan

The Sunbean at one day old.
 
After yesterday's mind-numbingly boring post, I thought I'd share my birth plan.  I have a meeting with the birth planner at our hospital tomorrow, so I'll warm up by sharing here.

With the Sunbean, I really wanted a natural birth.  I didn't want to be induced and I didn't want to use pain meds.  I prepped by reading lots of books, practicing self-hypnotism, and by meeting with my doula (aka...birth-loving friend).  I *really* wanted this natural birthing experience, but I just didn't have the knowledge I needed.  It was like setting out to make the perfect homemade bread with no yeast.  Not gonna happen.

This time around, I've got my 'yeast'.  Not only am I way more 'crunchy' than I was three years go, but I'm more confident in my decisions as a mother.  I'm not going to be afraid to be an advocate for myself and my child.

Don't get me wrong...I'm all about delivering in a hospital, surrounded by the most advanced medical equipment possible with highly-trained professionals (I sound like a hospital commercial).  I just don't want to have to use it.  That being said, as soon as something becomes medically necessary for the well-being of my child or myself, I'm all about it.

So I have a plan.  A birth plan.  But there's a secret to birth plans.  You have to make it look like you only have a few simple requests.  The nurses get all flustered when you hand over a 13-page document with tons of ridiculous details.  So my plan of attack is to have some things actually written on the paper, and other things just in my head.  For example, it is really important to me that MacGyver or I is always with our child, 100% of the time.  No exceptions.  This is so important to me that I don't need to write it down.  I will have the presence of mind to speak up about it.  And if, for some reason, I don't, MacGyver will.  He's in my corner like that.

So here's a basic idea of what I'll be waving in the nurses' face when Little Dude makes his debut:

During Labor
  • No routine IV (an access port may be placed if needed).
  • I will hydrate myself with water, ice, or electrolyte beverages.
  • I will walk around and stay mobile.
  • I will use a birth ball, the birth tub, and other natural pain-relief equipment.
  • Please do not offer pain medication.  I'll ask if I want something.
  • I'd like the option to chose my position for pushing.
During Birth
  • I'd rather tear than have an episiotomy.
  • If I do tear, please give me local anesthesia before repair.
  • Please do not give me routine pitocin to deliver the placenta.
After Birth
  • Please place the baby on my chest immediately after birth.
  • I will hold my baby while all initial assessments are performed.
  • Please delay the clamping of the umbilical cord until it has stopped pulsing.
  • I want to breastfeed as soon as possible after birth.
  • I will decline the eye drops.  I'd be happy to sign any waivers needed.
  • Do not give my baby the Hepatitis B vaccine.  We will have our doctor administer this later.
  • Please give my baby a pulse ox test for at least one hour between 24 and 48 hours of birth.

So that's the plan.  I'll bring it to my appointment on Friday and run it by the birth planner, but I think it's pretty run-of-the-mill, really.

Anything you'd add or change?

7 comments:

virginia said...

oh geez this is it huh...good luck with everything. I have had lots of luck with nurses being good at letting me do it my way...do you have a mid-wife. They seem to really help everything go more naturally on the hospital end of things...
also the hospital is going to ask you about circumcision :)
is his name really going to be little dude?

Deb said...

Sounds good...just one question...why the pulse ox between 24-48 hours after birth? As a RT I'm curious to why?

Abbey said...

I don't have a midwife, but my doctor is pretty open to just about anything. I do have Anna, though...she'll be my advocate. :)

And I'll be posting about circumcision next week. I think it is deserving of it's own post. And yeah, don't you think Little Dude is a good name? Playground-friendly, right?

A pulse ox test after 24 hours detects congenital heart disease. There's a bill in the Indiana congress right now to make it routine. Since most healthy newborns leave after 48 hours, it should be done between 24 and 48 hours. I just heard about it a few months ago!

Kelsey said...

i love it. very similar to mine. i am still reading up on everything delivery (c section, epidurals, forcepts, ect) but i plan to not use them. you go girl!

Deb said...

Ok I see...I good neonatologist should be able to find an issue with out the pulse ox but good for you for wanting it!! Most would not even bother!

Unknown said...

Does lighting bother you? Are you doing perineum massage now in preparation? It greatly helps prevent tears). I'm glad you are posting about intact vs. circumcision in the future, whatever your choice include it in your birth plan. I haven't heard of the pulse ox test either, great idea.

I wanted to help catch my youngest when he was born, but the nurse didn't respect/listen about how I wanted the bed so when he was actually born I was too sore and worn out and had the midwife hand him to me to put on my chest.

Good luck and I hope you have a great birth!

Maya said...

Whoo-hoo on the pulse-ox! Be prepared for them to question it....all the doctors asked why I wanted one for J. There are other states besides Indiana in various points in the process for making it mandatory, and the NIH may be recommending it nationwide.

Deb: The 20 week ultrasound only catches about 20% (ish?) of congenital heart defects. They are the #1 cause of death in children...more than all childhood cancers combined. The pulse ox test is routine for every person going into the ER so you may have had it before...it's a little clip that goes on your finger. It won't catch all CHDs, but it catches many that cause issues with oxygen. Having the 20 week ultrasound + a fetal echo (which is not standard in the US unless you have a history of heart defects in your family) + a pulse ox catches about 90% of all CHDs.

Abbey, I just think it's awesome that you have a birth planner in your hospital! A-MAZ-ING. Let us know how the meeting goes!