Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Review: Mail Delivery Services

Just in case you guys are getting bored of all the baby-related posts (and I'm not even close to being done), here's a break with my review of mail/package delivery services.

When you're stuck on the couch whilst trying to prepare for a new person to enter your life, you become very thankful for ecommerce.  I mean, really.  Just a few short years ago, my online shopping options would have been pretty limited.  Believe me when I say you can order anything on the internet.  Anything.

But after you order, the products need to be shipped.  Most companies don't offer the consumer a choice of carrier.  Meaning, they are contracted with a particular company (UPS, Fed-Ex, USPS), and so they may offer shipping options (based on speed or price), but you ship with the company they choose.  Since the price of shipping most directly depends on the company you've ordered from, I'm not including price as a factor in my review.

In the past few months (but especially in the past few weeks), I've had at least one item shipped with the three major carriers:  UPS, Fed-Ex, and the good ol' government (USPS).  Here are my thoughts.

UPS

Of the three I'm reviewing, UPS is my favorite.  They have a great website that is easy to navigate.  When you have your tracking number, there is a place right on the main page to type it in.  I really hate having to click two or three times just to get to the tracking page.  Their tracking information is updated several times throughout the day, and has always been 100% accurate for me.  I think that is probably the most important feature for me.  I *need* to know exactly when my package will arrive.

One thing that makes me love UPS is our delivery man.  He is so great.  We had both our stroller and carseat delivered via UPS.  Rather than just dropping off the package and ringing the bell (standard procedure), he waited at the door to see if he could help me pull it into the house.  How nice is that?!?  This very pregnant momma appreciated that.

Fed-Ex

Oh, Fed-Ex.  My thoughts?  Epic fail.  I hate Fed-Ex, pretty much for all the reasons I love UPS.  First of all, I hate their website.  You have to click twice just to get to the place to put in the tracking number.  Not that it really matters, though, since they update tracking info about once a week.  Usually all on the day it will be delivered.  Not helpful.  One positive thing about their tracking, though, is that if you're looking at a tracking email on an iPhone or iPod, it recognizes it as a tracking number and all you have to do is touch the number and it pulls up the page.  That's a plus.  Not sure if that's thanks to Steve Jobs (Apple) or Fed-Ex, though.

Here's a little story about Fed-Ex.  A few weeks ago, I realized that MacGyver would be graduating while I was two weeks from my due date.  This was back before we realized Little Dude was trying to escape early, so I decided I wanted to order a new dress for the occasion.  I decided to pay for the extra shipping charge so that it would be delivered in 2-4 business days.  That way, I could wear it as often as possible to get my money's worth.  I ordered from Old Navy, and I knew they had a distribution center in Columbus, Ohio, so I figured the dress would probably arrive in 2 days.  And I was (kind of) right.  In 2 days, the tracking info was finally updated, and it showed the package had made it to my city in the early morning hours.  But wait.  Was it on the truck for delivery?  Of course not.  The website said "Not due for delivery".  What on earth??  What kind of a business plan is that?  Yeah, let's not deliver the package even though it's sitting here.  We'll scrape by with the bare minimum.  So frustrating.  I called the shipping center and asked that it be delivered the next day (which would have been day 3).  Guess what?  They said no!!  Since I paid for '2-4 day shipping', my package wouldn't be delivered until the 4th day.  Ohhhhhhhh I was so mad.

One good thing about Fed-Ex is my delivery man.  He's a sweet guy, too.  Fed-Ex usually requires a signature, and when this stupid dress was finally delivered (2 days before bedrest....grrrr), I was home to sign for the package.  He looked at my pregnant belly, looked at me, and then said, "Oh, you're having a little ______, huh?"  In that blank, insert Little Dude's name.  He guessed the name of our baby!  It was crazy, and kind of creepy.  It's not like it's a totally common name or anything.  It totally made my day, though.

USPS

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the government mail agency.  On a day-to-day basis, our mail is delivered on-time and in one piece (except once).  Our mailman is pleasant and usually pretty friendly.  One thing I don't like is the tracking info (again....I'm obviously pretty picky about tracking info).  Similar to Fed-Ex, they update it all on the day the package will be delivered.  Honestly, what good does that do anyone?

I can review USPS in a different light, though:  as a shipper.  I almost exclusively use USPS for my business.  They make it very easy to ship packages, and offer free shipping supplies and free pick-up.  Their rates are low, and it is easy to print labels at home.  Most businesses don't use USPS for larger packages, so my experience with them is a little limited.

UPS Mail Innovations
This is a new service, and the worst idea ever.  UPS has joined with USPS in some type of hybrid mail system.  Maybe they are still working out the kinks, I'm not sure.  And to be fair, my first package with them is still in transit, so I can't really give a full review.

From what I understand, UPS initiates the delivery process, and then somehow it is transferred to the USPS mail carrier?  I really don't understand.  What I can tell you so far is that the tracking info stinks.  Not only is it slow to update, but it doesn't tell you when it will be delivered.  They use tricky language, too, so I can't even tell where the stupid thing is.

When I ordered this particular item (it's MacGyver's Father's Day/Graduation gift, so I'm being intentionally vague), I got free shipping, so I didn't choose this service.  I'm not very happy that it is being delivered via USPS, though, because it is kind of breakable (that's your one hint, babe).  I think I'd feel better if it were in the big brown truck, not the Caprice Classic that our mail comes in.


So, there.  Now you've wasted a good 5 minutes reading my earth-shattering thoughts on mail delivery services.  What's your favorite?

2 comments:

Deb said...

I like USPS for the smaller stuff but i would rather use UPS for all other shipping. We have had several things come via FedEx and I agree they blow it big time.

Unknown said...

My hubby has used UPS a fair amount for shipping and he prefers it. I have the same disgruntlement with FedEx (website and tracking updates). As my husband points out, insurance claims with FedEx are difficult and it seems pretty often its needed. UPS takes better care of the package and we've never had to file a claim. USPS is not bad if you don't want to track something, otherwise don't use it. USPS ships to bases the easiest.